Friday, February 22, 2013

Duct Tape Painting

   
   This is one of my favorite projects, even my husband said it turned out pretty cool! It's especially great for the little one's.  My little guy, Eli, just loves painting, so when I decided to do this project I knew he would be thrilled.

Materials:

  • 4 canvases of equal size
  • any kind of paint ( for kids I always suggest any WASHABLE paint.)
  • duct tape (or painter's tape if you'd rather)
  • a paintbrush
   Start by grabbing your canvases. Put them side by side on a flat surface so you can begin the taping process. You can cut the tape to make the wording bubblier, or you can do what I did and just use the block lettering look.
    Decide on what word you want to use. I used the word 'LOVE'.  It's pretty universal and great as a gift later on. Ok, now grab your duct tape....Yea, duct tape! I find it's just as good as painter's tape if you aren't looking for perfect lines.  If you have painter's tape and want straighter lines, stick to that.  Which ever one you use, just make sure to really stick it down onto the canvas-give it a few good pats to make sure it's not going anywhere.   
   Go ahead and put the tape where you don't want paint to go. It's simple,  just use the tape to make that letter. You can paint them all at once or one at a time, makes no difference in the end. I put them on a low coffee table I keep in the garage just for painting and crafting on so I didn't use a drop cloth, but you might want to.
  Now let your little one go wild. Don't worry about the paint glooping or sticking to the tape, it will dry eventually.




   When you think you are happy with the overall composition, stop painting. You can leave as many areas blank as you feel necessary, but I suggest at least mostly covering the area around the letters so it is obvious what it says in the end. 

   Let your paintings dry. This is the hard part. I know I know! You just want to rip it right off and see your masterpiece but it will turn out better if you wait until everything is all dry. Just trust me on this one.  
   After the paint is ALL dry, carefully peel off the tape and reveal your masterpiece! Some of the dried paint may stick to the tape, that's ok...this is an abstract, anyway. The slower you peel the more likely you are to avoid the paint sticking.  See, you did it! Now don't you feel artsy?!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment